This project was actually planed in first semester in 2009. See the post Digital-age assessment project. In the middle of March 2010, my two Mandarin level 3 classes finished the chapter on Chinese Idioms, and it is time now for us to practise this project.
The Ultimate Performance task for this project:
Each group of students is to produce a Video Story on the assigned Chinese idiom.
The general schedule on this project:
1. First Stage: Pre-video story ( 15th-24th March)
A. Study of the reading material on the relevant Chinese idiom:
1) Each group focus on the study of its own idiom. It is accessible on Panthernet.
( 15th-17th March)
2) Each group works on its own worksheet, which highlight the new vocabulary, the new sentence drills and give examples on how to use those words and sentence drills. ( 15th-17th March)
B. To conduct online tests to ensure the understanding of the reading of the Chinese idiom.
3) Each group takes the online test activity by uploading its worksheet to panthernet as the group work during class time. ( 18th-19th March)
4) Each group tells their own idiom story orally in front of the class by showing the worksheet in smartboard, explaning the new words and expressions and so on. ( 19th-22nd March)
5) Each group takes online reading comprehension test on its Chinese idiom story.
( 23rd-24th March).
2, Second stage: The process of making video story
( 29th March-9th April)
C, To create a new story based on the understanding of the assigned idiom.
6) Students work with their group to draft the outline of their story. ( 29th-31st March)
7) A role-figure in the story is distributed to each individual and afterwards students rehearse the play. ( 1st-2nd April)
D, To apply the media tools into their story.
8) Students do the recording, videoing or picturing, editing the story by choosing one of the following media tools: ( 5th-9th April)
3, The third stage: Post-video story
Each group uploads their video story into panthernet and display their performance task. By doing so, students exchange their knowledge on the Chinese idioms and create the new understanding of the taught subject.